Monday, May 11, 2009

mother's day

what do i want to remember about yesterday..Mother's day...

not the craziness of the day, going from here to there, making sure we get in all of the days priorities, or commitments i wish i didn't make. that i was sorry i didn't let my husband play, when i saw how bad he wanted to be up there, my heart broke. he has this desire in his heart, that i walked in front of, blocking it. because of what yesterday was, what i thought was about me. i don't want to remember the amount of falls, and tears the kids had yesterday, or the tiredness that is making my kids crabby today!

no i want to remember, the way i woke up, the way i began the day, the first person that made me feel so special, his arms, his kiss, his love. i want to remember getting coffee brought to me, carefully brought up the stairs, hoping she wouldn't spill anything, while i was getting ready. i want to remember, the smell of bacon, and blueberry muffin's getting cooked for just me...we'll so i thought. i want to remember the way the plate was sitting on the table, with my breakfast just waiting for me, with kids eyes so proud for what they did for their mommy. i want to remember benji helping me look for that shoe, so i could get out the door. i want to remember the kids each lining up on the couch waiting to hand me the gifts they picked out all by themselves. they were all sweet gifts, Cohen's - m&m's, oh he was so proud, benji said he knew exactly what to get me before they even got to the store. Hayden- silver bracelets, because silver is his favorite color, Leighton- an "L" necklace, so i would know who always gave it to me, and Brennan- a faith necklace with a cross, because he know' s i love God...my kids the way they love me is what i want to remember, Ashlyn was to little to know what day it was, but a hug, and her saying it's so pretty, will be inscribed on my heart forever. i want to remember the starbucks coffee brought to me, with the leftover blueberry muffins, as my kids and hubby came to church, later then me. (i had to work the nursery, yes on mothers day!) i want to remember, hanging out with my family, the laughs we shared, the branch that "fell" to make Katie's electricity go out. the hugs of the day, the excitement of planning up coming dates.

it was a good day, a fun day, a great day. a day to stop and remember how truly blessed i am to be a mother, a day where i realized the focus shouldn't be about other's celebrating me as a mom, but me celebrating, the amazing privilege to be a mom.

yes i hope i remember, that being a mom is the greatest gift of all.

2 comments:

  1. so so so good friend!
    you are amazing! being a mom is the most wonderful thing in the world... your kids are so sweet! i can here ashlyn saing "it's so pretty" with her sweet tiny voice! and those m&m's along with all the other amazing gifts are just about the sweetest things in the world! you are so blessed! we all are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great day! you are truly, truly blessed with amazing kids that think their momma hung the moon. don't you love it every year even more when they actually know what mother's day means?

    being a mom is the greatest gift- and you get to times that by 5!!!!!

    ReplyDelete